Global Trade Import Customs Lead
• Provide subject matter support for the Global Trade Regional Trade Controls teams; especially in the area of Customs valuation
• Capable of leading interactions with other GT teams, business units, other functional areas (including transfer pricing teams and the Finance community), internal and external legal counsel and external consultants
• Identifies opportunities for process improvement, develops recommendations, and converts recommendations into compelling new business plans
• Facilitate and enhance business processes and trade activities, while interacting pro-actively with the business and global functions
• Investigate potential/actual incidents working with the BU to identify root cause, determine corrective actions, and follow up to ensure closure
• Support the Global Trade Internal Controls Program
• Consult with individual businesses or functional areas within HP on specific topics related to import and export compliance and operational processes
• Assist businesses in identifying potential impacts on import compliance as a result of changes in supply chain
• Analyze data and/or conduct interviews to identify potential compliance issues
• Determine level of compliance with regulatory requirements and policies
• Ability to influence a particular business across functions and countries
• Recognized internally and externally as an industry expert; seen as thought leader within the organization
• Act as Lead for complex/large impact projects
• Prepares reports to management and maintains required metrics
• Drives negotiations and influences senior management as required
• Prepares information in response to inquiries from government agencies and participating in discussions with authorities if necessary
• Prepares and delivers topic-specific training to pan-HP audience
• Collaborates across regions and business units.
• Ability to influence a particular business across functions and/or regions.
• Typically interacts with Directors and VPs.
• Typically leads very highly complex and large impact projects.
• Leads quantitative and qualitative business models and analyses to support proactive supply chain operation activities & priority projects.
• Drives negotiations and influences government authorities as required.
Education and Experience Required
• First level university degree or equivalent experience, advanced university degree preferred
• Certification as import or export professional and/or 10+ years of experience in an import/global trade function, preferably with a large multi-national corporation or import service provider
• Recognized expertise in the area of Customs valuation; with exposure to HS classification and country of origin principles
• Audit/assessment experience a plus.
Knowledge and Skills Required
• Advanced understanding of import and export topics, especially Customs valuation
• Advanced understanding of supply chain processes
• Ability to identify and create analytical tools, models and methods for making key decisions
• Advanced communication and influencing skills; mastery in English (written and verbal)
• Advanced internal and external relationship management skills
• Advanced knowledge and understanding of Microsoft Office skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.)
• Project management skills, with capability to lead cross functional teams in multiple geographies that impact the organization
• Business acumen and technical knowledge within area of responsibility
• Advanced understanding of national and international trade requirements to align customs/trade function with business objectives
• Team player who is willing to take on a variety of tasks
• Excellent leadership skills including team-building and conflict resolution and management.
• Time management skills to enable efficient completion of multiple tasks/assignments
• Recognize high priority issues and address or escalate accordingly